Fitocracy - the Fitness RPG

Games that can be played on your internet browser.
DraconianOne
Legendary

Fitocracy - the Fitness RPG

Post by DraconianOne » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:01 pm

I don't know how many people this will be of interest to but it's certainly up my street, so to speak.

Fitocracy is an online social site revolving around fitness and tracking exercise (much like Daily Burn and similar) but with a slight twist - it was developed by MMO addicts and has MMO/RPG-esque mechanics. Every time you log a workout - be it gym time, cycling, swimming, walking or whatever, you earn "XP" and the more XP you earn, the more levels you get as well as contributing towards completing quests and getting achievements. In an interesting idea that's appealed to many geeks. XKCD even did a (slightly risqué) comic about it: http://xkcd.com/940/

Anyway, being the running addict, I'm signed up as TrailDragon and can chuck invites in your direction if you want one.

Blipp
Mythical
Steam ID: Von Blippenstein
Origin ID: Blippoman

Re: Fitocracy - the Fitness RPG

Post by Blipp » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:09 pm

Sounds interesting, I'm just trying to get started with some exercise. Doing some running around the city here. Actually prefer it now that it's getting colder as I don't have to bump elbows with tons of other fitter people.
Blippo-Ren
At least I have chicken

Orix
Podcast Producer
Steam ID: Orix_Solariss
Origin ID: Orix

Post by Orix » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:37 pm

I noticed this for the first time today also, on Kotaku.

I've been more careful over what I eat since I was rather large as a teenager, but while my diet is fairly good, my inclination to exercise is not. Went swimming for the first time in god knows how long this week, with the aim of making it a regular thing. My motivation is somewhat lacking.

Something like Fitocracy might help me, if the Miller response works so well for computer games, I can see it working for fitness also. But, I'm also a bit wary, maybe it's just a preconception, but sometimes I already feel that people already know too much about me due to stuff like Facebook. Do I really want to tell people how much or little I exercise?

I'd also feel that being rewarded imaginary prizes for real world goals almost seems a little patronising. Surely the fact that you're getting fitter is a reward in itself, and therefore makes getting xp or achievements a moot point? Also, from past experience, being in a social group in exercise, such as martial arts or football, etc., would replace the need for the social recognition aspect of Fitocracy?

All that said, I'm going to try and maintain an open mind, I will at least try it before ruling it out :uneasy:
No active MMO characters right now...

I remember when old Orix used to write game reviews, what happened to to him!?

Orix
Podcast Producer

Post by Orix » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:40 am

Bit of a necro here. Me and Mrs Orix are both trying to shape up and lose weight.

So, to go along with renewed sense of commitment to exercise, and a gym membership, I've started up my fitocracy account once more. Despite previous preconceptions, I'm willing to give it a shot, people seem quite supportive on there. Although I'm not willing to broadcast everything on Facebook, it's nice to have a few people you can do "quests" alongside.

Just wondering if anyone on here uses it, and if a Worlds Away fitocracy group is in order? :D

CustodianV131
Omnipresent
Steam ID: CustodianV131

Post by CustodianV131 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:31 am

I missed this the first time around. Going to take a look at it. Gamification has the future and this combination might be just what I need in the motivation department.

Any experiences of people who used it for a while?
Twitter Gamers are young at heart and creative thinkers. Shall we play a game?

Rodan
Heroic

Post by Rodan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:32 am

I've signed up to this now as I'm trying to get back into shape, ideally a shape that's not round ;-)
SWTOR (Rodan + Rodaan Commando/Vanguard)
EVE (Retired)
WAR (Retired)
LOTRO (Retired)

Laex
Darth Africanus
Steam ID: Leightonstm
Origin ID: Tygarus

Post by Laex » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:58 am

I've been at the gym regularly since start June, and running for a little over a year now. Definitely going to sign up for this :)

Rifi
Heroic

Post by Rifi » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:31 pm

I've just joined this too. Think my friends will really be into this too. I'm tjbarry2 if anyone wants to follow me.

Orix
Podcast Producer

Post by Orix » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Just made a Worlds Away group

:D

Poddy
Most Excellent Adventurer

Post by Poddy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Not sure what insanity took hold of me, but i signed up too - Poddy.
LOTRO
Nicole - Guardian
Founder no. 183

GW2
Poddy.7683

World of Tanks & Warships
Poddy

SW:TOR
Wasp - Lvl 50 Sentinel - Retired.

Return to “Browser Games”