New forums

Any problems or comments please put them here.
Jimhada
Never Winter Knight
Steam ID: jimhada
Origin ID: tester

New forums

Post by Jimhada » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:09 pm

So I have been wondering for the past few years why are we paying for a forum.
What are peoples thoughts of moving over to free forums. I know in the old days advertising on them was bad but I use one over at shivtr.com and its only really one banner, which if it was a problem... we could pay to get rid of.

Im just thinking, they are not used very often here...we have other forms of people staying in touch.. and well...its less maintenance.
The only downside is we could lose all that information if the forum company went kaput.. but is it a big deal?

If democracy says we should stay on these paid forums.... then I am looking for someone to take over the running of these forums. :biker:

Jimhada
Never Winter Knight

Re: New forums

Post by Jimhada » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:11 pm

Of forgot to include....

check out https://wa.shivtr.com/

for a sample of where I suggest going.

Watashi
Mythical
Steam ID: Watashi

Post by Watashi » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:29 pm

I don't mind but I don't want to run anything :lipsrseal

I'll go with the democratic concensus. I am like that

Mistina
Most Excellent Adventurer

Post by Mistina » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:07 pm

That site looks good and it might help having a calendar. I have been looking into getting a calendar up and running on discord for worlds away but i've really struggled and pretty much put it on the backburner until i can find something that intergrates properly with discord. So personally id be really interested in trying something new with the forums if that is a feature that works well.

Like tash though, im happy with whatever the majority want.

Jimhada
Never Winter Knight

Post by Jimhada » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:44 pm

The calendar is useful for setting up events...like raids etc. I use it for a LoTRO group I am part of (though not playing so much these days)
The free version of those forums provide up to 3 games so you could have say LoTRO, GW2 and something else..
Not sure how multi games work but with single games it allows you to put in your characters for that game.. and its all set up with classes and stuff for that game. When you host an event... say a GW2 Raid you can sign up with your chosen character and what role they would play.. DPS Heal tank etc..

The things with these here forums is I have been letting slip the updates... mainly because they are rarely used.. If for the sake of one small advert we can get free forums that someone else bothers with the updates.. and we have better functionality... sounds good.

I shall make up a few guest accounts.. at those shivtr forums... or if people want to create their own accounts to try them out... then go ahead.

Talon
Omnipresent
Steam ID: Talon2000uk
Origin ID: Yeah right!

Post by Talon » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Yeah I'm all for moving and just paying for the domain name each year if people want to. That should be cheaper.
Talon Korsairre
Getting Drunk In Multiple Universes Since 1980 :drunk:

Return to “Website Problems & Feedback”