Worlds Away Forums - European MMORPG and Gaming Community

Gaming news, discussion, guilds, semi-coherent burblings and Trout Cannon
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:29 am 
Legendary

Welcome to Worlds Away, a European timezone MMORPG news and community site. The community is getting quite large now, and the off topic is filling up with introductory posts, so please feel free to tell us who you are in this thread.

For ease of use for existing members, please refrain from posting off topic replies*. All posts should be introductory posts about you - which means one post per user. This makes the thread easier to browse so that members can get to know who everyone is. ;)

So, tell us a little about you - who you are (if you want), where you are from (again if you want!), what you do, what your hobbies are etc. Also, what brought you to Worlds Away? Are you a fan of RPGs, MMOs or gaming in general?

Thank you for showing an interest in World Away, and I hope that you enjoy the community :)

* OFF TOPIC REPLIES WILL BE REMOVED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:55 am 
Legendary

Guess I'll start :cool:

Hi! My name is Nybor - although it isn't really, my drivers license says Robin Sloan (actually it says 1. Sloan, 2. Robin James S) but Nybor (or Nibor in it's previous format, name backwards see!) has been my online alias for a long time, and a gaming alias for quite a bit longer.

At the moment I am a 21 year old student bum from east central Scotland. No job, no money....no prospects :cry: Well, maybe some prospects, but my area of study is quite ambiguous (Computer Arts). Almost at the end of my penultimate semester, after December I'll be writing a dissertation on the future of interactive narrative in story-driven videogames, and working on a supporting project (a game concept with artwork and gamescript). See. Told you I had no prospects. Tescos here I come :P

What else do I do then. Obviously, I am a huge fan of video/computer games - have been ever since the 80s when I was given a ZX Spectrum 128k. My first game (besides a TV Pong/Breakout game my dad bought earlier) was Boulderdash - and it is still on my laptop in a Speccy emulator! After the Speccy I moved on to Atari, Mac and then PC for home computer systems, and NES, Mega Drive, N64 and PS2 for home consoles. I am also a lover of movies - in particular a fan of science fiction - and most sub-genres of rock music. I do go outside though, if only to play snooker! Used to be an avid badminton player but I kind of let myself go. :embarasse

So, why am I here at Worlds Away? Well, I was drugged when browsing the Aartan Ridge forums one day and I woke up here, tied to a chair, my eyelids pinned open, a computer in front of me locked on this site. A man whsispered in my ear "test the site or your cat gets it". Not really, but it would have been interesting. :D

Actually, I am indeed a former Aartan Ridge (SWG guild based on Farstar) member, and I am here because I have since become addicted to the MMO community. SWG was my first MMO subscription, after previous dabbles only in Asherons Call and Ultima Online. I am more of an all round gaming fan, but online and in particular multiplayer games have always intrigued me. I hope to get into EQ2 at some point, if my computer spec will allow it, and if not I am sure Worlds Away will bring up news of another great MMO which I can get my paws on. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:59 am 
Heroic

I'm Glex. I play MMOs.

Thank you for your time.

[edit] Ok, I'll write some more ;)

Currently studying computer science at the university, still a bit to go before I'm done with that.

My MMO history starts with Anarchy Online, my very first MMO. I never really got into all that EQ thing. Since then I've moved over to SWG, which I'll be quitting when WoW goes live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:13 pm 
Legendary

Mentazm, aka Iain Watson, I'm 27 and I live in Edinburgh in Scotland.

I'm a cinema projectionist, but I'm also qualified in IT and insurance. Worked in both areas before realising I was boring myself to death and moved to something I actually enjoyed doing.

When not working I like gaming. A lot. I blame my gaming addiction on my dad who bought me my first computer (Commodore 16) when I was 6 years old. From there I moved on to a Spectrum 128+2, a gameboy, an Atari ST, a SNES, an Amiga, then finally on to PCs. Owned and sold all the consoles apart from the XBox, don't see much point in consoles now as my PC is TEH UB3R.

I mostly like MMOGs and have played em since about 98 when I started on Ultima Online. From there I moved on to Dark Age of Camelot, Star Wars Galaxies, and am currently playing World of Warcraft. Tried out most MMOs, it's only those that have stuck. An ex-Aartan Ridger here too, now I'm in a WoW guild called Disbeliever of Faith (DoF - http://www.dof-guild.org.uk) with ex ARs.

When not gaming I like to write music (mostly Drum n Bass), go clubbing and DJ (both not so often these days), go to gigs (I like every type of music from mellow Folk to Hardcore Gabba), write words (reviews on my website http://www.killyourtv.co.uk and also working on a few scripts), and watching psychological dramas (The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Lost, Nip/Tuck, etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:25 pm 
Most Excellent Adventurer

Hi, I’m Ferox (seen Cannibal Ferox at an early age…I’ve used the name ever since) a.k.a Stuart from Belfast, N.Ireland, a 28 year old music appreciator who mostly listens to electro, goth, industrial, ebm but grew up on hardcore/ grindcore. I’ve been a strict vegetarian for the past 11 years (so are my folks - no meat, no eggs, no fish etc) and haven’t had a cigarette in over 6 months! yay!

I work as a Web Applications Developer (.Net) for a company I have been with for almost 3 years, and worked as a Digital Media Designer before that for a few years. I currently live with my gf in an over priced apartment that has 80’s power-chic décor thanks to our landlord!! ;)

I’ve been playing games since I can remember. My dad bought an Intellivision-esque console in ’80 when I was 4 and we played it until we got a ZX 81, then the Spectrum 48 (fav games: saboteur 1+2, bak 2 skool, skool daze) leading to the Spectrum+. I got an Amiga 500 next and played it up until I got a PC in 1993 and even bought a PS1 after that. I kept playing/ upgrading/ buying PC’s over the years, and got an xbox in 2002 and this year bought a new PC, a Gamecube and a PS2 (split cost with my gf).

MMORPG’s I’ve played/ tried: EQ (free trial only), Neocron (beta only), AC2, SWG, Lineage 2 (beta only), Eve (beta only), CoH, SoR (beta only) - hadn't found one I loved until eq2! :)

I was also part of the AR SWG community from 2002, but left SWG in the winter of 2003, and stuck around the boards with other members because it was a great community. I currently plan to play EQ2 from release. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:09 am 
Mythical

Steam ID: Von Blippenstein
Origin ID: Blippoman
I'm Blipp aka Viktor Hylén aka Blippoman aka Blippster aka nutter aka spammer etc. etc. I'm 19 years old and live just outside stockholm (sweden).

I'm currently off doing my military service. Will be in training as a military lorry driver untill the april the 8th. Already counting the days untill I can get on with the rest of my life.

So whenever I'm home I like to catch up on the forums and have the occational gaming session, hooked since the age of ... well I don't remember but i was younger then I am today :rolleyes:
When I'm not tied t the computer i like to go out dancing with my mates or watching a film or any other fun activity.
I have also taken up karatenot long ago. I'w got an orange belt, wich is the step just after white so I'm quite good. :karate:

I'm also known on the forums to be a bit of a nutter, don't know why though.
:smash: :smash: :smash: :wacky: :joker:
:smash: :smash: :wacky: :wacky: :joker:

[SIZE="5"][EDIT 2 YEARS LATER][/SIZE]
Wow! this post is quite old, 2 years to be precise. So it has changed a bit.
So lets start by correcting some things.

Quote:
I'm Blipp aka Viktor Hylén aka Blippoman aka Blippster aka nutter aka spammer etc. etc.
I'm 19 years old and live just outside stockholm (sweden).

Well I'm still Blipp, and my name is still Victor Hylén (started using a C in my name though).
I'm now 21 years old and have moved into teh city so now I live in Stockholm city.

Quote:
I'm currently off doing my military service. Will be in training as a military lorry driver untill the april the 8th.
Already counting the days untill I can get on with the rest of my life.

So I am now currently getting on with the rest of my life, at the moment I am studying Grafic Design,
quite fun but makes it quite hard to get time for gaming.

Quote:
So whenever I'm home I like to catch up on the forums and have the occational gaming session,
hooked since the age of ... well I don't remember but i was younger then I am today

This is still true, but it's a bit less gaming time because of all the studying.

Quote:
When I'm not tied to the computer i like to go out dancing with my mates or watching a film or any other fun activity.
I have also taken up karate not long ago. I'w got an orange belt, wich is the step just after white so I'm quite good.

Well I don't go dancing much now days, it happens but now that I'm old I prefer to just sit and drink.
I gave up on the Karate, because I didn't have time for it during my military time and I didn't pick it up again after.
So now I've picked up one old and one new hobbie, the new one is horsebackriding which I started with in january.
The old one is fencing, started fencing again after a break of about 10 years. It's going quite well so my fencing instructor wanted me on the team for the swedish team fencing cup in december.

Quote:
I'm also known on the forums to be a bit of a nutter, don't know why though.

Well I don't know if I'm still know to be a nutter, But I think I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:16 am 

I'm Cirrus, a.k.a Cloud, Rocu, Qune, Qunos ,I'm 15 years old (16 in February) and i got to school :P

I own a PC (duh) an Xbox and a PS2 but i barely use my xbox or ps2 that much anymore as ive been playing on the PC a lot more. I've been hooked on gaming since about the age of 5 when i got my first NES and been a Nintendo fan up until the Gamecube. I only started PC gaming really when i was about 8, 9 or 10 when i found an MMORPG called Asheron's Call which got me hooked onto MMO's :)

Other MMO's ive played include - AC2, EQ (for about 2 days), DAoC, Planetside, Ragnorak Online, SWG, Lineage 2, City Of Heroes, Eve Online, and loads of others-
at the moment i'm playing nothing :P

I also like watching anime and need a bigger hard drive now because i've run out of space to store it all on :cry: :P

I was also part of AR in SWG for a while until i wuit SWG- joined AR in November or December of 2002.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:15 pm 
Omnipresent

Steam ID: Talon2000uk
Origin ID: Yeah right!
Hi I'm Talon Korsairre (Bryn, Wouldn't You use Talon If you had a name like that. :D )

I'm 34 years old, work in IT and Collect hobies for a living, Scuba diving, Horse Ridding, Sailing, Surfing, Para and Hang Gliding, Ningitsu, Fencing, Oh and I also Play Computer Games. I Blame the parents. :D

I've been addicted to gaming since an early age I had a ZX81, used to love getting that black blip to avoid the scary white blips.

Games may have got better over the years but I'm still crap. "Bugger, bugger get off me you bloody krayt dragon.

I've spent the last 3 years darkening the Aartan Ridge Forums, so I thought I'd better show my face over here and cause some trouble. :D

Great forum guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:21 pm 

/kowto's before the barmen

Moderators Message: please use this post to add in your member introduction, Eideu ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:47 am 
Darth Africanus

Steam ID: Leightonstm
Origin ID: Tygarus
Hi,

Names Alex Leighton, living in the UAE at the moment, but will be moving back to South Africa at the end of the year.

Play SWG most of the time, the rest of it I eat sleep and pretend to be an Editor. I used to be one mind, I just stopped caring now.

I'm 19 years at the moment, although I will no longer be a teen in Feb of next year, yay me.

Interestingly enough, I was introduced into SWG, Aartan Ridge and this site my Donna....I owe her so much :)

so that's it from me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:04 pm 

Hello,
I’m Dru, who plays Eideu' Darkstrider on SWG.I was introduced to Aartan ridge about a year ago buy Tel's real life brother, ever since then I have hound the Pa members.
I’m 21, work at Browell, Smith and Co Solicitors (if you live in the North east of England you may have seen the adverts), as an accounts Clerk .I’m going to start my AAT in September (associated accounts Technician, basically an accountant). My First computer was a C-64, followed by - Amiga 500,amiga 1200,Sega megdriver, a 486, Playstion, P2, PS2, P3 and now a P4.
I am very boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:26 pm 
Freshling

My name is Ben, 28 going on 50 from sunny Manchester currently employed as a post man, keeping the spam mill going when I'm offline too :P

I first got into online games through the Sega Dreamcast playing Quake3 and PSO, eventually buying a PC after years of oo'ing and ahh'ing, my first proper MMO that I plumped for was SWG and joined the great community of Aartan Ridge, had a fun time with all the folks there but the game never really had the legs for the long race and ended up deciding that Norrath would be my next port of call :D

The only other type of game's I play alot are FPS, currently getting my kicks from COD after recently giving up playing Planetside, although I'm tempted to give it another try as since I got another stick of ram and a new card I'm kicking ass :laugh:

Other than gaming I enjoy eating, drinking and sleeping in no particular order. :kiss:

P.S I used to be a lizard called Nandoshar, if anyone was wondering who the stranger was posting on the forums ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:32 pm 
Heroic

Hi all!

Im Elaine (38), wife to Cedig (aka Alan) and mother to Baby Harry and Toddler Jack. I used to play a lot but now kids wont let me get online much.

I started my addiction with Daoc - playing a champ on the prydwen server since open beta. I then graduated to SWG and had the first Master tailor on Farstar (played since beta 3). Had a bried dabble in Eve but Im now thoroughly enjoying EQ2 although could qualify for slowest leveller in history as im trying everything:). Also exploring LotrO.

My playstyle is social - but i also like to achieve stuff (like badge collecting) although I never have uber chars so i achieve what I can. Usually pants at fighting and especially duff at twitchy games. I cba to get too involved in the detailed stuff - so i usually have the any old armour and have no idea about buffs or styles etc.

I was a support team leader, managing a team of applications support staff but recently gave that up to emigrate to Columbus Ohio (relocated for Cedig'd job)

Outside of gaming I tend to be changing nappies, entertaining the baby, feeding my ebay habit or sleeping! ( how boring!!!).

[SIZE="1"]
Retired:
Elui:DaoC lvl 50 Champion, Elui:SWG Master Tailor, Elui: Eve Online,
Melui:LotRo Champion, Melui:EQ2 -Ranger, Melui:AoC - Priest of Mitra
[/SIZE]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:21 pm 
Heroic

Hi i'm Jayce...aka Jayce (yeah I don't have a very vivid imagination when it comes to names, okay my real name is Jason but that's almost the same).

I started playing games a lot later then most, we did have a tennis tv game when I was young and my dad had a spectrum but wasn't allowed to play game son it :(

My first computer was the little known Commodere 16 and I also inherited a plus 4. My first proper pc was an IBM compatible 8088 with 2 5.25 floppy disk drives and a massive 20 MB hard disk. Oh the fun I had playing games where I had to swap between the floppy disks to get it working.From that point I was hooked.

I now spend more time infront of a PC then anything else (not helped by the fact that I repair them (among other things) for a living). I have played UO for 6 years and SWG for a year and am about to embark on a new career in EQ II.

I have a wife and 3 kids somewhere around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:32 pm 
Apprentice

I'm Harv, aged 18 and from the inbred part of North Devon.

Currently I'm studying for my LLB Law degree at Plymouth, but in my spare time I enjoy surfing, "quick pints" at the union bar, PC games and the odd game of golf.

I started out with a crappy 486, moved up to a more classy 350 Pentium II, then to a 1ghz Athlon and finally onwards and upwards to my 3200+ I'm sitting at now.

The university network has put a stop to my online gaming for a year - I was planning on playing WoW and CS:S with the guys over at OG. I played SWG for over a year... looking back I'm not sure what I was thinking paying £15 a month for it.

The lack of online games means I'm concentrating more on partying and my work (in that order), but I reckon the release of Half-Life 2 will mean no lectures for a week or so...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next